Saturday, December 6, 2008

What Is Eternity Like?


What is eternity like, Lord?

Are the days any different or is everything just the same?

When I was a child I thought eternity was like a bathroom when the hot water had been running. Everything hidden in steam like on a mountain top when the clouds covered it. Nothing properly visible, just ghostly.

Now I think that eternity is an endless succession of days.
Nothing bad happens. Everyone is happy and kind.

You don’t get bored because you can do anything you want, but you only want to do what is pleasing to God, and that pleases you too.
I like to think there are babies to cuddle and children to read stories to.
Will the babies and the children grow up?

Now I have a problem. If they do, what happens when there are no more babies or children? I won’t like that very much, but why shouldn’t they be able to grow up? That would be what they would want isn’t it?

There shouldn’t be any problems in eternity, should there, Lord?

So then, what will eternity be like?
I obviously have no idea.
I know there will be a new heaven and a new earth.
If it’s alright with You, Lord, I’d prefer to spend eternity on the new earth.

I feel much more comfortable about that idea. You see I’ve lived on the earth for eighty years and a bit, so I’m really used to it by now and I’m used to the people, and
I just love the incredibly beautiful earth, with its wonderful scenery.

I won’t mention the creatures because I don’t want to even think about cockroaches and mosquitoes and I don’t know how I would take it if you said that they were part of the deal.
I would really be appreciative of the fact that there would be no weeds to cull.
I really hated how healthy and lush the weeds were while my precious plants barely clung to life, and how it hurt my back and my knees to deal with those awful weeds!

I haven’t mentioned this before, but I guess You remember how when I was young, almost a century ago I always wanted to be a pilot and fly a red aeroplane, well if there are planes on the new earth may I fly one then ? I believe I could do it without any lessons if I was immortal. I always thought I could fly without any lessons when I was a mortal child too.

What will Eternity be like Lord ?
I wish someone could tell me!.
W.B. Dec 2008

No comments: