Saturday, October 1, 2011

Do You Think Of Me Sometimes?

While the world is turning do you think of me sometimes
And remember that we were friends, once, long ago?
Do you see me as I used to be, though you have gotten old?
While I wait here for Heaven; not long to go?

The nurses move round quietly, trying not to laugh too much
They seem to think that joy should not be shown
While I am in God’s waiting room and thankful for the touch
Of a friendly hand that says “You’re not alone.”

The sun shines in through the window later on into the day
No warmth can pierce my air-conditioned room
The light shows up the particles that float around the air
When they lift the covers on my little tomb.

No, dear, I am not lonely, for they’re doing hourly ‘ops’
You see my glory time is almost here.
They are all kind and gentle folk that won’t let me die alone
They intend that someone should be always near.

While I’m waiting for an Angel to come stand beside my bed
And tell me that the Lord has called me Home
I’ve had time to think of someone whom I loved so long ago
And I hope you thought of me, and you’re not alone.

Wyn Barratt
Oct 2011.

1 comment:

wyn said...

THis poem was in memory of my dear friend Alison who passed away in a Nursing Home in 2010